|Origin||Marvel Super-Heroes #18 (January 1969)|
Big Daddy Blue
Guardians of the Galaxy
|Home World||Centauri IV (homeworld)|
|Other residences||Monster/Alien Battlegrounds|
|Weapon||Yaka Curve Bow|
|English Voice||Michael Rooker|
Yondu is a shrewd, humorous, boisterous, at times unscrupulous redneck-sounding alien who makes his living as a treasure hunter, teaching Peter Quill most of what he knows. He also acted as something of an adoptive father figure to Quill at one point. Sometimes when Star Lord gets in trouble, and/or when it appears Yondu wants to kill him for some perceived act of betrayal, Yondu is actually pretending to be mad at his protege and, in fact, trying to spare him from most, if not all of the consequences, as he is deep down a decent enough fellow who had enough faith in the young man to save him from being eaten by the other Ravagers, and still does.
He also comes to develop an unlikely friendship with Sarah, treating her much better than he initially treated Quill.
Yondu is found in the Alien Prison on Monster/Alien Battlegrounds(it is unclear if he was captured by W.R. Monger, or if he arrived there on his own will). He accompanies Sora and his group to defeat Galaxhar's Probe-bot at San Francisco.
- "Whoa whoa whoa! Slow it down there, hoss!"
- "I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!"
- "What do you want, 'boi'?"
- "Is he cool?" - about Sarah's drawing
- "Hey there, scumbag!"
- "Obelebolebolebu." - interrupting Galaxhar with his gibberish
- "Sorry 'boi'!" - to Sora after accidentally striking him in the butt with his Yaka Arrow.
- "Well I'll be a son of a talking raccoon with a funny accent!"
- "I know who you are!"
- "You've got a lotta gall, little girl..." - to Sarah
- "If ya see my 'boi' Quill, tell 'im his Big Daddy Blue's still alive and kickin', y'all!" - to Sora and Sarah
- Yondu's inclusion in Kingdom Hearts: The Third Ragnarok is mainly due to a deleted scene in Thor: Ragnarok featuring Yondu, which could have either contradicted or retconned his fate in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. Gokai likes how Yondu ended up being the breakout character of Guardians of the Galaxy, having been initially being depicted in an antagonistic light, but then becoming popular enough to be re-written as a better, more benign and likable character who's come to regret his bad decisions.
- Yondu mistakenly refers to B.O.B. as Blob, the X-Men character at one point.
- His taking interest in Sarah's drawing of Jikanmu and wishing they're brothers is a tongue-and-cheek joke at how Michael Rooker and Norman Reedus played Merle and Daryl Dixon on The Walking Dead.
- Sarah's quote, "I'm Darla Dixon, y'all!", is a callback to Yondu's own similar quote, originally from GotG Vol.2.