This ancient, pure evil god of destruction, whose true name is lost to time, is addressed by Shin Seigi as The True Iron Majin (アイアン魔神 Aian Majin). It is the hidden true antagonist of Marvel VS Super Sentai.
Iron Majin resembles a dark gray and silvery grotesque fusion of Thanos, Ultron, Iron Monger, and Iron Man, with red eyes and a red Arc Reactor both glowing ceaselessly like the fires of Hell. It has an actual mouth with red insides like Ultron, razor shark-like teeth, and a blood-red Infinity Gauntlet for a right hand in symbolic juxtaposition to DaiZyuJin putting the real Gauntlet on his left hand.
Unlike Tony Stark, who became the "worst human being ever"(as Shin Seigi so furiously put it) only because of Iron Majin's influence, Iron Majin is pure evil and self-righteousness incarnate, an insane, heartless megalomaniac who views itself as the supreme ruler of the entire multiverse. Completely devoid of compassion, morals, humility, or flexibility, it seeks to destroy and cause suffering purely for it's own morbid satisfaction, and enjoys emotionally torturing anyone who opposes it (for example, Majin hypocritically shifted the blame for Pepper's death entirely on Shin, despite having killed her itself). Iron Majin also admitted to indulging in hurting the innocent and guilty alike for no reason at all, unlike how Tony was always making excuses to justify punishing any who second-guessed or disagreed with him.
Although it fought the forces of good and ultimately Mugen DaiZyuJin to the bitter end, Iron Majin's boundless arrogance brought about its final downfall. Also, DaiZyuJin implied that even if Iron Majin did have the stones' positive energies at its disposal, they still wouldn't work the way it wants, presumably due in huge part to Majin's completely malicious nature.
Iron Majin is also way more vulgar with his speech in the english script than in the japanese.
Powers and Abilities
As a Devil-God, Iron Majin possessed complete immortality and unlimited power, so he could not be truly killed, even by the Eternals and A'lars working together. But Majin mistakenly believed it only needed the Infinity Stones' negative energy to reshape the universe without fail, so without the positive energies at his disposal, the Dark Infinity Stones instead weakened him to the point of losing his invulnerability before shattering. Although Iron Majin retained much of his strength and durability and was quite formidable for Mugen DaiZyuJin, it still was not enough for the Devil-God to escape it's doom. Even after suffering major damage, including the loss of its legs, stomach region and left arm, Iron Majin was able to fire one last particle beam, through which the Super Legendary Infinity Punch passed effortlessly to destroy Iron Majin forever.
Many eons ago, the evil god ingratiated himself into the Celestials and committed the most unforgivable acts of destruction/murder/genocide/tyranny in their name, until around 2000 years ago when A'lars and the Eternals fought back to destroy it. But they did not do so entirely: its wicked essence was split in two and they decided to possess the bodies of two individuals, between whom its personal beliefs were shared. With Iron Majin having already searched eons prior, after foreseeing his own defeat, the evil essences chose Thanos and Tony Stark as suitable hosts and bided their time, empowering the darkness in their hearts until the time came for one to fully embrace the evil within and destroy the other, making the victor Iron Majin's mortal vessel, with Iron Majin choosing Thanos as an act of vengeance against his father A'Lars. It may possibly also be the true reason for Lord Drakkon's coming to Earth-199999S, but this is not confirmed by any source as of yet.
At the end of the Super Infinity War, when Tony Stark was slain by Shin Seigi, the True Iron Majin was made whole again, and it's first horrific act upon revival was to instantly kill Pepper Potts without mercy. Iron Majin attempted to use the Dark Infinity Stones Stark had created earlier to destroy the universe, but the massive excess of negative energies puts such a strain on the Stones that shatters them, taking away his immortality instead and making him vulnerable to destruction. The infuriated Iron Majin grows giant and tries to crush the Avengers Sentai Alliance under his heel, but DaiZyuJin stops it with a punch from behind and impales the Devil-God with the Godhorn to keep it from stopping the Great Beast God from utilizing the Infinity Stones and Gauntlet to become Mugen DaiZyuJin, who finally destroys the God of Destruction and ends his reign of terror.
- "Tony Stark is dead... You killed him, and his pious little bitch too!" - first lines in Marvel vs Toei Tokuverse.
- "You should have been more forceful with her if you wanted to turn every last insect who loved that selfish murderer unconditionally against him, and save her worthless life, Shin!!"
- "May the universe damn your wretched souls for all eternity, Avengers Sentai Alliance!!!!!"
- "At last we meet, face to face for the ultimate battle, Mugen DaiZyuJin!"
- "Stark was the only mortal who truly understood, the power to control the fates of every living thing, to harass or destroy anyone and get away with it! It is the ultimate joy, reserved only for a Devil-God! No one else, mortal or immortal, could ever understand!"
- "People are best punished for their virtues, NOT their vices!!"
- "I need no such pretenses as the rules of nature to justify my killings, unlike Stark: I do as I please because I CAN!"
- "DAMN YOU!!!"
- "IT'S OVER!!!"
- "YOU'RE WEAK!!!"
- "SHIT-SUCKING BASTARD!!!!"
- "I'LL CRUSH YOU!!!"
- "EAT THIS!!!"
- "GET LOST!!!"
- "GO TO HELL!!!!!"
- "NO!!! IMPOSSIBLE!!! I was born again, only to be struck down by those who defy me!? I am the invincible Devil-God who rules over all of creation! I am the ultimate lifeform whom even Gods and Devils must fear and obey! I... AM THE ONE, TRUE... IRON MAN!!!" - last words before exploding.
Etymology and Symbolism
"Iron" refers to Iron Majin's true form fundamentally resembling an evil Iron Man, with all other physical and personality traits being traced to three of Iron Man's greatest enemies (in the MCU); Obadiah Stane / Iron Monger, Ultron, and Thanos, an "Unholy Trinity" of sorts. Also, if Iron Man's corrupted self is to the Antichrist, Iron Majin would be to Satan and/or the demiurge.
"Majin" (魔神 or マジン) means demon, or devil-god. In the context of Iron Majin's completely depraved character and describing itself as the ultimate lifeform above all Gods and Devils, the kanji translation is the officially intended one.
- Adrian Pasdar was chosen for his portrayal of Tony Stark in the Iron Man segment of Marvel Anime, which Gokai thought "sounded more 'evil' than Robert Downey Jr.'s portrayal."
- GokaiWhite has dubbed the "zombified Iron Man" from midway in Spider Man: Far From Home as one of the big inspirations and precursors to Iron Majin, and a symbolic reflection of the evil that finally overtakes Tony Stark in MvSS.
- It's half-destroyed appearance before being struck down by Mugen DaiZyuJin also has similar (albeit metallic silvery-colored) skeletal features underneath the cracked armor, to evoke the image of a malevolent death-god and bring the symbolism full circle.
- The kanji rendition of Majin (魔神) is used for addressing the True Iron Majin in the japanese script, whereas the katakana (マジン) was applied to it's host Tony Stark.
- If Tony Stark (in MvSS) is to Sigma from the Mega Man X series, then Iron Majin must be to Sigma's secondary giant forms in any game(bar X8 and Command Mission), and the parallels are furthered by ways including, but not limited to, the use of a very powerful mouth beam, shouting things like "DIIIEEE!!!!!!" or "IT'S OVER!!!" very loudly(as in X6, especially), and also being voiced by Mugihito.
- If Iron Majin is a Sentai villain by proxy, it would be Mughito's second (villainous) role in Super Sentai overall, after Gengetsu Kibaoni in Ninninger.
- Iron Majin was conceived by GokaiWhite to further justify the dualism between (the MCU versions of) Iron Man and Thanos, and why they both needed to die to restore true peace and fairness to the universe. They both needed to die at (around) the same time to ensure its true demise in the prime timeline.
- When the present Thanos was killed by Thor, his respective half of Iron Majin's soul sought out the past Thanos to ensure his intent to haunt the Avengers once more and wipe out the universe, essentially making him "Majin Thanos", the same evil being in MvSS, under a different name and form. Even if it thought doing so would also make Thanos invulnerable to the combined power of the Infinity Stones, it was clearly not the case, and being free of Iron Majin's evil influence further explains why Thanos accepted his death with dignity.
- The relationship between Iron Majin and Tony Stark is similar to Master Org and Viktor Adler in Power Rangers Wild Force. Iron Majin and Master Org were pure evil entities who were destroyed in the past, and used a human host who assumed their names(though in Tony's case, he never called himself Iron Majin, and was only addressed as such by the heroes, much to his chagrin) and became malicious themselves, and when the host died, the "parasite" reached maturity and then killed at least one hero, only to be destroyed for good.
- Although Animus/GaoGod was revived, Pepper, sadly wasn't(more for reinforcing the recurring theme of the negative stigma surrounding the Stark family than for the sake of emotional weight).
- Iron Majin and his host's Prime timeline counterpart were ironically both killed by the power of the Infinity Stones.
- His dying claim that he is the "real Iron Man" pays homage to Metal Sonic making a similarly arrogant statement upon his defeat in Sonic Heroes.
- To explain how the Eternals or Time-keepers(and to an extent, the TVA) could not interfere with the events of MvSS, aside from the story being part of a "pruned timeline", Iron Majin is also a multi-dimensional being who expertly used the "power of fear" to threaten any who can potentially destroy it for good without fail. However, the negative energy recoil that cost Iron Majin it's immortality also took said power away completely.
- This line is a callback to similar claims made by Sigma early in Mega Man X4 and by Dr. Weil late in Mega Man Zero 3.
- This calls back to Black Cross Colossus' final words after being struck down by GoRen GokaiOh in Gokaiger + Goseiger VS Super Sentai 199.